I absolutely love being a part of the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing! I’m John Stanton, chair of the AG Bell Public Affairs Council, former member of the Board of Directors and a longtime volunteer with AG Bell. It was my great pleasure to receive the 2014 Honors of the Association award. As an adult with hearing loss, AG Bell has made a positive impact on my life and on the lives of countless families and children around the world.
We need your support to help children hear and talk.
Because of friends like you who supported us last year, AG Bell has been at the forefront in advocating for children and families. These are just a few of the association’s victories:
- AG Bell has advocated hard for movie theaters to include captioning technology and eventually the U.S. Department of Justice agreed! Today, people with hearing loss can go to the movies as soon as they are released.
- AG Bell has been a strong advocate for the use of communication access realtime translation (CART) for interpreting and captioning. In fact, the first time that CART was used was at an AG Bell convention!
- AG Bell has been a big champion of the cochlear implant and was a forerunner in supporting the tremendous potential of this technology.
And on a broader scale, Dr. Alexander Graham Bell himself firmly believed that children who are deaf and hard of hearing can live in the mainstream and have the same opportunities as everyone else. Your support is making Dr. Bell’s vision a reality today. Last year, you made it possible to:
- Provide financial support for 352 children, from infants to high school students, with $322,554 for expenses for auditory support services, speech-language therapy, tuition expenses and arts and science programs.
- Award 21 college and university students with scholarships that ranged from $2,500 to $10,000.
I, myself, was a beneficiary of Dr. Bell’s vision and AG Bell’s advocacy. I was able to mainstream and receive accommodations that allowed me to become a lawyer—a profession that I enjoy very much. I’ve been a lawyer for 17 years now. I’ve written hundreds of briefs for all types of clients. One of my greatest pleasures is signing a legal brief with “John Stanton, counsel for the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.”
Help a Child Hear and Talk
Without my parents, my sister, teachers and friends—and without the support of AG Bell—I would not be where I am today. Help other parents and children learn about the possibilities of listening and talking. Support AG Bell and build a stronger community for children and adults living with hearing loss and their families.
Your gift of $50, $100 or even $500 today will make it possible for more families to choose listening and spoken language. The sky is the limit for children who are deaf and hard of hearing. Join us in helping a child hear and talk today!
Your donation will make a world of difference. I promise you.
Submit a donation online at ListeningandSpokenLanguage.org/Donate.