AG Bell Arts & Sciences Award Program
About the Program
The Arts & Sciences Award Program is available to students who are deaf and hard of hearing who are in grades one through twelve to participate in after-school, weekend or summer programs focused on developing skills in the arts or sciences. Programs may be offered through museums, nature centers, art or music centers, zoological parks, space and science camps, dance and theater studios, martial arts studios or any other program with a focus on the arts or sciences. Awards cannot be used for programs that offer academic credit, travel or study abroad, recreational summer camps, sports camps or sports including figure skating or gymnastics.
This program is closed for the year. The application deadline was April 14, 2014.
2014 Award Distributed
The Arts and Sciences Committee is pleased to announce the distribution of this year’s awards. A total of $28,000 was awarded to 37 applicants from 18 states and Canada. Awards ranged from $285 to $1,700 for programs such as music and dance lessons, musical theater and performing arts classes, summer arts camps and summer programs focused on various aspects of the sciences.
2014 Arts & Sciences Award Program Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for this program, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Bilateral hearing loss or Auditory Neuropathy (AN) must have been diagnosed prior to the child’s fourth birthday (pre-lingual). Note: children with unilateral (one-sided) hearing loss or unilateral AN do not qualify.
- The child’s hearing loss must be in the moderately-severe to profound range. This means that the child must have an unaided Pure-Tone Average (PTA) of 55 dB or greater in the better-hearing ear in the speech frequencies of 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz. Children with cochlear implants meet this eligibility requirement. NOTE: this may not apply for children who have been diagnosed with AN. For information on required documentation for AN, please see the “documentation” section on the Application Submission Instructions page of the application packet.
Formula for calculating the PTA: On the unaided audiogram, look at the results for the better hearing ear at 500, 1000 2000 and 4000 Hz and add those four numbers together, then divide that total by four. The result is the Pure Tone Average. To be eligible for this award, the child’s PTA must be 55 dB or greater.
- Listening and Spoken Language must be the child’s primary mode of communication.
- The child must be at least six (6) years of age and not older than 19 years of age as of December 31, 2014 and currently attending elementary or secondary school (grades 1 through 12).
- The child must be enrolled in or registered for the science or art program selected.
- The child (and primary contact) must reside in the United States, including territories, or in Canada.
Note: AG Bell membership is not required; however, the committee gives preference to AG Bell members.
Although we do not confirm receipt of an application, once an application has been reviewed for eligibility and completeness, we will send an email to let the applicant know the status of the application.
Applications that are received up to a week before the deadline will receive these email notifications more quickly. Email notifications will be delayed for applications that are received in the 5-7 days just before the deadline when many other applications are received. In the email, you will also receive information about when you can expect to be notified of the award decisions. If an email address is not provided, you will not receive this notification.
Shortly after the deadline, eligible applications will be forwarded to the award selection committee for review; ineligible applications are discarded. Letters of notification will be mailed to all eligible applicants - those who were selected as well as those who were not selected to receive an award.
Do You Have Questions?
Click here to see the most commonly asked questions about AG Bell's Financial Aid Programs. If you still have a question or would like clarification, please send us an email. Responses may take up to three business days, so please plan accordingly when submitting your email.