AG Bell Parent-Infant Financial Aid Program
About the Program
The Parent-Infant Financial Aid Program is for families of infants and toddlers ages birth through 3 who have been diagnosed with a moderately-severe to profound hearing loss who are in pursuit of a spoken language outcome for their child. Awards are intended to assist with expenses for services such as auditory support services, speech-language therapy, tuition, etc. Families should be committed to a listening and spoken language outcome for their child or children with hearing loss. This program is for individuals only; organizations are not elibible to apply. Awards are made once a year.
The 2014 program will open on August 1, 2014. Program information and an application packet will be available on this web page at that time.
2013 Parent-Infant Awards Distributed
The Parent-Infant Financial Aid Committee is pleased to announce the distribution of this year’s awards. A total of $125,155 was awarded to 129 infants and toddlers who are who are deaf and hard of hearing and learning to listen and talk. Awards ranged from $500 to $1,200 and recipients reside in 20 states and Canada.
The committee was pleased to have additional award funds of $6,199 provided by the Rhode Island Chapter of AG Bell. Following the chapter’s dissolution earlier this year, its leaders generously contributed their remaining funds to help AG Bell families through the Parent-Infant program.
2014 Parent-Infant Financial Aid Program Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for this program, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- The child must be three (3) years of age or younger as of December 31, 2014.
- The child must have a documented bilateral hearing loss or auditory neuropathy.
- Note: Children with unilateral (one-sided) hearing loss or unilateral auditory neuropathy do not qualify.
- The child’s hearing loss must be within the moderate to profound range. This means that he child must have an unaided Pure-Tone Average (PTA) of 55dB or greater in the better hearing ear in the speech frequencies of 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz.* Children with cochlear implants meet this eligibility requirement.
*This may not apply for children who have been diagnosed with AN. For information on required documentation for AN, please see the "documentation" section on the Application Submission Instructions page of the application packet.
Formula for calculating the PTA: On the unaided audiogram, look at the results for the better hearing ear at 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz and add those four numbers together, then divide that total by four. The result is the Pure Tone Average. To be eligible for this award, the child’s PTA must be 55 or greater.
- Parents must be committed to and pursuing a listening and spoken language outcome for the child.
- The child and family must reside in the United States (including territories) or in Canada.
- Parents/guardians should be able to clearly outline their need for financial assistance and plans for usage of grant funds.
NOTE: AG Bell membership is not required; however, preference may be given to members.
Once an application is received, it is opened reviewed for eligibility and completeness. Once the application deadline has passed and all applications have been screened, eligible applications are then forwarded to the award selection committee for review; ineligible applications are discarded.
If an email address is provided on the application, once the screening process is complete, you will be notified via email of the status of your application. In that email, you will also receive information about when we expect to mail notification letters. If an email address is not provided, you will not receive this notification.
Letters of notification will be mailed to all eligible applicants – those who were selected as well as those who were not selected to receive an award.
Do You Have Questions?
Please see the FAQs about AG Bell's Financial Aid Programs. If you still have a question or would like clarification, please send us an email. Responses make take up to three business days, so please plan accordingly when submitting your email.