AG Bell Parent-Infant Financial Aid Program
About the Program
The Parent-Infant Financial Aid Program is for families of infants and toddlers ages birth through 3 who have been diagnosed with a moderately-severe to profound hearing loss who are in pursuit of a spoken language outcome for their child. Awards are intended to assist with expenses for services such as auditory support services, speech-language therapy, tuition, etc. Families should be committed to a listening and spoken language outcome for their child or children with hearing loss. This program is for individuals only; organizations are not eligible to apply. Awards are made once a year.
The 2015 program will open in mid-July; please check back at that time for more information about and an application for the 2015 program.
2014 Parent-Infant Financial Aid Awards Distributed
The Parent-Infant Financial Aid Committee is pleased to announce the distribution of this year’s awards. A total of $104,247 was awarded to 125 infants and toddlers who are deaf and hard of hearing and learning to listen and talk. Awards ranging from $500 to $1,194 were made to families in 29 states and Canada.
2015 Parent-Infant Financial Aid Program Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for this program, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- The child must be three (3) years of age or younger as of December 31, 2015.
- The child must have a documented bilateral hearing loss or auditory neuropathy.
- Note: Children with unilateral (one-sided) hearing loss or unilateral auditory neuropathy do not qualify.
- The child’s hearing loss must be within the moderate to profound range. This means that he child must have an unaided Pure-Tone Average (PTA) of 55dB or greater in the better hearing ear in the speech frequencies of 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz.* Children with cochlear implants meet this eligibility requirement.
*This may not apply for children who have been diagnosed with AN. For information on required documentation for AN, please see the "documentation" section on the Application Submission Instructions page of the application packet.
Formula for calculating the PTA: On the unaided audiogram, look at the results for the better hearing ear at 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz and add those four numbers together, then divide that total by four. The result is the Pure Tone Average. To be eligible for this award, the child’s PTA must be 55 or greater.
- Parents must be committed to and pursuing a listening and spoken language outcome for the child.
- The child and family must reside in the United States (including territories) or in Canada.
- Parents/guardians should be able to clearly outline their need for financial assistance and plans for usage of grant funds.
NOTE: While membership in AG Bell is not required; preference may be given to AG Bell members.
Although we don’t confirm receipt of applications upon delivery, once an application has been reviewed for eligibility and completeness, we will send an email to let the applicant know the status of the application. Applications that are received 7 to 10 days or more before the deadline will receive these email notifications more quickly. Email notifications will be delayed for applications that are received in the 5 or 6 days just before the deadline when many other applications are received. For eligible applications, the notification email will include information about when you can expect to be notified of the award decisions. If an email address is not provided, you will not receive this notification.
Shortly after the deadline, eligible applications will be forwarded to the award selection committee for review; ineligible applications are discarded.
Letters of notification will be mailed to all eligible applicants – those who were selected as well as those who were not selected to receive an award.
Do You Have Questions?
Please see the FAQs about AG Bell's Financial Aid Programs. If you still have a question or would like clarification, please send us an email. Responses make take up to three business days, so please plan accordingly when submitting your email.