AG Bell Preschool-Age Financial Aid Program
About the Program
The Preschool-age Financial Aid program is for families of preschool-age children who have been diagnosed with a moderately-severe to profound hearing loss and who are in pursuit of spoken language education for their child. Awards are intended to assist with expenses for things such as auditory support services, speech-language therapy, preschool tuition, etc. Families who apply should be committed to a listening and spoken language approach for the education of their child’s listening, speech and cognitive skills. Awards are made once a year, generally in the month of October. Award amounts vary; over the past three years, awards have ranged from $275 to $1,100.
2014 Preschool-age Program Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for this program, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- The child’s bilateral hearing loss or Auditory Neuropathy must have been diagnosed before the child’s fourth birthday. Children with unilateral (one-sided) hearing loss or unilateral Auditory Neuropathy do not qualify.
- The child’s hearing loss must be in the moderately-severe to profound range. This means that applicants must have an unaided Pure-Tone Average (PTA) of 55 dB or greater in the better hearing ear, in the speech frequencies of 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz. Children with cochlear implants meet this eligibility requirement. NOTE: This may not apply to children who have been diagnosed with AN. For information on required documentation for AN, please see the "documentation" section on the Application Submission Page of the application packet.
Formula for calculating the PTA: On the unaided audiogram, look at the results for the better hearing ear at 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz and add those four numbers together, then divide that total by four. The result is the Pure Tone Average. To be eligible for this award, the child’s PTA must be 55 dB or greater.
- Listening and Spoken Language must be the child’s primary mode of communication.
- The child must be at least four (4) years of age as of December 31, 2014 and must not yet be entering first grade for the 2014-2015 school year.
- The child (and parent/guardian) must reside in the United States, including territories, or in Canada.
- Parents/guardians should be able to clearly outline their need for financial assistance and plans for usage of grant funds.
Note: while membership in AG Bell is not required, preference may be given to AG Bell members.
Application Packet and Deadline
Preschool-age Financial Aid Program 2014 Application - PDF (print and complete by hand)
Preschool-age Financial Aid Program 2014 Application - Writable PDF (open and complete on computer, then save/print)
The deadline for applications is August 14, 2014. All materials must arrive together in one package at the address below by 5:00 p.m. local time on August 14, 2014. No supporting materials will be accepted separately from the application.
Send application package to:
Wendy Will - School-Age Program
8745 Gary Burns Drive, Suite 160-504
Frisco, TX 75034
- Due to the volume of applications for multiple programs we are not able to confirm receipt upon delivery (for more information, see administrative process section below). If you would like to know whether or not your application was received, you may choose to send your application using a service that can confirm delivery - preferably without requiring a signature as this can delay delivery. AG Bell does not accept responsibility for any delays or delivery errors on the part of delivery services. To ensure timely delivery, applicants are encouraged to submit applications well in advance of the deadline.
- Emailed or faxed applications are not accepted.
- Late and incomplete applications are not considered under any circumstances.
- Applications are not returned for any reason.
Please do not contact AG Bell seeking an exception to these policies.
Once an application has been reviewed for eligibility and completeness, we will send an email to let the applicant know the status of the application. Applications that are received well in advance of the deadline will receive these email notifications more quickly. Email notifications will be delayed for applications that are received in the days just before the deadline when many other applications are received. In the email, you will also receive information about when you can expect to be notified of the award decisions. If an email address is not provided, you will not receive this notification.
Shortly after the deadline, eligible applications will be forwarded to the award selection committee for review; ineligible applications are discarded.
Letters of notification will be mailed to all eligible applicants - those who were selected as well as those who were not selected to receive an award.
Do You Have Questions?
Click here to see the most commonly asked questions about AG Bell's Financial Aid Programs. If you still have a question or need clarification, please send us an email. Responses may take up to three business days, so please plan accordingly when submitting your email.