AG Bell College Scholarship Program
About the Program
Thanks to generous donations from individuals over the years, AG Bell is able to offer several scholarships for full-time students who have a pre-lingual bilateral hearing loss in the moderately-severe to profound range, use listening and spoken language, and who are pursuing a bachelors, masters or doctorate (not law or public policy) degree at an accredited mainstream college or university. This is a merit-based scholarship program and award selection is extremely competitive; over the past six years approximately 12% of applicants were selected to receive an award.
This program is open and accepting applications for the 2015 program.
2015 Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for this scholarship program, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Listening and Spoken Language must be the applicant's primary mode of communication.
- Hearing loss must have been diagnosed before the applicant’s fourth birthday (pre-lingual hearing loss).
- Hearing loss must be bilateral and in the moderately severe to profound range. Applicants must have an unaided Pure-Tone Average (PTA) of 60dB or greater in the better-hearing ear in the speech frequencies of 500, 1000 and 2000 Hz. Applicants with cochlear implants meet this eligibility requirement. Unilateral (one-sided) hearing loss does not qualify.
Formula for calculating the PTA: On the unaided audiogram, look at the results for the better hearing ear at 500, 1000 and 2000 Hz and add those three numbers together, then divide that total by three. The result is the Pure Tone Average. To be eligible for this program, the applicant’s PTA must be 60 or greater.
- Applicant must be enrolled in or have applied to a 4-year mainstream and accredited college or university as a full-time student working to complete a bachelor’s or graduate degree. This means that, for the 2015-2016 academic year, the applicant must be a fulltime undergraduate or graduate student pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree at a mainstream college or university. Applicants who are or will be attending a community college offering an associate’s degree (2-year) do not meet this criterion.
- Applicants in the United States must have a minimum cumulative un-weighted GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale (equivalent minimums: 4.06 on a 5.0 scale or 81.25 on a scale of 100). For high school seniors, this is a cumulative GPA for grades 9-11 and the first semester of grade 12. For college freshman, this is cumulative GPA for grades 9-12 and the first semester of college. For college sophomores or higher including graduate students, it is the cumulative GPA on college transcripts for all semesters completed.
Non-U.S. Applicants: Applicants must have a minimum 80% cumulative on their high school or secondary school transcripts. For colleges outside of the United States, applicants must have a ranking equivalent to a minimum 3.25 GPA; for example, for students in the UK, Australia and India, a minimum of an Upper Second Class ranking is required.
- Applicants may receive a total of two awards through the AG Bell College Scholarship program.
PLEASE NOTE: We are very strict with the eligibility criteria. Without exception, applications that do not meet all of the criteria are screened out of the process and are not considered for an award.
Application and Deadline
Click here for an application (Writable PDF)
The deadline for applications is March 13, 2015. All materials must arrive together in one package by 5:00 p.m. local time on March 13, 2015. Only transcripts sent directly from the educational institution will be accepted separately from the application.
Mail application package to:
Wendy Will – College Scholarship Program
8745 Gary Burns Drive, Suite 160-504
Frisco, TX 75034
- We do not confirm receipt of applications upon delivery. If you would like to know right away whether or not your application was received, you may choose to send your application using the USPS Return Receipt (green postcard) or by a service that can confirm delivery. Please know that delivery confirmation requiring a signature or in-person certification may delay delivery. AG Bell does not accept any responsibility nor make exceptions for delivery delays including those resulting from delivery confirmation requirements. To ensure timely delivery, applicants are encouraged to submit applications well in advance of the deadline.
- Faxed applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- Late and incomplete applications will not be considered under any circumstances.
- Applications will not be returned for any reason.
Please do not contact AG Bell seeking an exception to these policies.
Administrative Processes & Notification
Although we do not confirm receipt of an application upon delivery, once an application has been reviewed for eligibility and completeness, we will send an email to let the applicant know the status of the application. Applications that are received up to a week before the deadline will receive these email notifications more quickly. Email notifications will be delayed for applications that are received in the 5-7 days just before the deadline when many other applications are received. In the email, you will also receive information about when you can expect to be notified of the award decisions.
Shortly after the deadline, eligible applications will be forwarded to the College Scholarship Committee for review. Applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria are destroyed.
Notification of award decisions will be by email only. Both those selected and those not selected will receive an email.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Answers to the most frequently asked questions about the AG Bell College Scholarship Program.
Do You Still Have Questions or Need Clarification?
We try to be clear in our instructions, but if we have not been clear, if you’re confused or would like clarification about something or have a question about something that’s not on the application, please ask! It’s better to ask the question than to find out your application is considered ineligible for review. Not asking the question is NOT a case for reconsideration of your application.
If you have a question or would like clarification on something, please send us an email. Responses may take up to three business days, so please plan accordingly when submitting your questions.